Conde McCullough Memorial Bridge Rehabilitation – South Approach
North Bend, Oregon
Start Date: October 2007
End Date: August 2013
Owner: Oregon Department of Transportation
Hamilton recently completed a six year project utilizing the latest technology in cathodic protection to preserve this 77-year old bridge. Main elements of the project included structural repair, cathodic protection, replacement of 7,200 ft. of historic decorative bridge railing, as well as joint and bearing replacement, steel rivet replacement and painting. The project team designed an innovative mobile, "negative atmosphere" enclosed scaffold system to regulate the environment necessary for the cathodic protection work, which at the same time, protected the environment from construction debris. The new deck railing meets present day safety requirements for pedestrians and vehicles while still retaining the historic look of the original design.
Interesting Factoid: McCullough Bridge was completed in 1936 and named for its designer Mr. Conde McCullough, Oregon State Engineer from 1919 to 1936. It was the longest structure on Oregon's highway system at the time of its construction.